THE DIESTELHORST BRIDGE
The Diestelhorst Bridge was built in 1915 to replace Reid's Ferry owned and operated by E.A. Reid across the Sacramento River in Redding. Reid's Ferry had been in operation since 1851, before Redding was established in 1872. In 1907 Reid sold the ferry to John and Charles Diestelhorst the sons of Gottlieb Diestelhorst, and continued launching the ferry from the Diestelhorst property. Gottlieb Diestelhorst purchased 83 acres along the river in 1859, for the sum of $2,500. Part of Major Pierson B. Reading's Rancho Buena Ventura. For a short time the bridge was also known as the Reid's Ferry Bridge. The Diestelhorst family sold the land for the railroad trestle and bridge approach to the city. The bridge was in constant use until 1997, with the completion of the North Court Street Bridge.
SHASTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY