INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS BUILDING
The International Order Of Odd Fellows Reading Lodge Number 271 was commissioned to organize on February 20, 1878 by F.P. Dann and Thomas Burton Smith (1844-1919) in Redding. The lodge was instituted by Thomas Burton Smith on March 6, 1878 a native of Burlington, Iowa and a pioneer who arrived in California in 1853, and in Shasta County in 1867. Smith was an active member within this fraternal organization until his death. The International Order Of Odd Fellows Reading Lodge Number 271 erected a building in 1888 at 1445 Butte Street in Redding. The historic name of the building is: brick commercial style, and the common name is: commercial. This building housed the International Order Of Odd Fellows fraternal organization which was established to assist brethren relocated from various places, providing support to those being sick and to relieve distress. This organization assisted in burying the dead. Presently, the organization helps to improve and elevate the character of men. Drinking is prohibited. Meetings were held on a regular basis and almost every community in Shasta County established a branch of the International Order Of Odd Fellows. This lodge still retains the spelling of the name Reading to this day, (pronounced like the color "red").